My Approach to Counselling
I have previously managed a mental heath counselling service , worked as a counselling tutor, supervised and provided counselling for various agencies which has all supported my learning, understanding and skills to evolve my counselling practice to benefit my clients counselling experience.
My practice is built on trust, honesty and understanding. Putting your goals at the heart of our work together, I create a safe environment for you to work through your past hurts, which may have led to self-limiting beliefs, as well as feelings that are uncomfortable to bear. My aim is to support you, to connect with your deeper thoughts, feelings and beliefs and empower you to make positive changes which will help you to find freedom from what is troubling you.
My core approach to therapy is Person Centred but I also integrate other approaches, including Gestalt, Transactional Analysis, Internal Family Systems, Psychosynthesis and Solution focused depending on your needs and your situation.
I am a mindfulness teacher and I have been using meditation and mindfulness practices to benefit my own wellbeing for over ten years.
I am an accredited member of the National Counselling Society (NCS) and individual member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and am fully insured.
On a Personal Note
I have a passion for fragrance and scent, which grew out of my past work as an aromatherapist and retailer for Japanese incense. I am an avid day tripper and thoroughly enjoy exploring new places, especially if there is a welcome pit-stop for food along the way! As time has gone on, I have realised that life is not about getting everything right, it’s about being all right with what it is, which has allowed me to accept myself, and all of my qualities and flaws in equal measure.
I am very fortunate that my counselling experience is wide and varied. I have provided counselling & supervision in a variety of different settings, including an adult learning centre, a mental health agencies, drug and alcohol rehabilitation service, Weston college, general counselling service, as well as working for employment assistance programmes.
In addition to this, I have created and managed a counselling service for a mental health charity, helped develop a telephone counselling service for North Somerset Council’s High Impact Families Programme and supported the management of a counselling service for victims of domestic abuse.
I have also had the honour to provide supervision for counsellors and therapists who have worked in various agency settings, including a drug and alcohol service provider, a counselling service for victims of domestic abuse, a mental health charity, and those in private practice.
Now, I have my own private practice offering counselling and supervision to individuals, couples and agencies, both in the UK and Europe. I have a limited company, providing counselling for the West of England Works project, which is lottery and European funded.
Core professional qualifications
- Advanced Accredited Diploma in Counselling Supervision, Postgraduate level 7
- Diploma in Psychotherapeutic Counselling, Counselling & Psychotherapy Central
- Awarding Body (CPCAB) level 5
- Foundation Degree in Counselling, Bath Spa University
- Diploma in Relationship Counselling See Miles
- Diploma in Psychotherapeutic Counselling, Counselling & Psychotherapy Central Awarding Body (CPCAB) level 4
- Advance Diploma in Counselling, Assessment and Qualifications Alliance (AQA) level 3
- Mindfulness Now Teacher training, The UK College of Mindfulness & Meditation
Further Training and Continued Professional Development
- Brief Solution Focused Therapy Certificate
- Internal Family Systems (IFS) For trauma, anxiety, depression & addictions
- Motivational Interviewing Certificate
- Archetypes in Supervision
- Fundamentals working with couples
- Understanding working with Addictions
- Understanding Addictions through attachment theory
- Working with the Inner Child
- Creative Interventions
- Mindfulness from a Humanistic Perspective
- Understanding sexual violence
- Transactional Analysis and working with the Inner Child
- Telephone & E-Counselling training
- Sexual Abuse, Rape, Trauma training
- Introduction to Compassion Focused Therapy
- National Institute for Health Care Excellence (NICE) elearning Anxiety Disorders